Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia | Website
Reports directly to: Repair Site Supervisor(s)
Service week: Tues- Sat, 7:30 am- 3:30 pm
Term: May-August 2019
Personal vehicle: Not Required
Driver’s license: Preferred
At Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia (“HFHP”), we are builders who work alongside, not for, others. We are driven by accountability and defined by our stick-to-itiveness. The Home Repair Program provides critical home repair, weatherization and façade improvement services to low-income homeowners in Philadelphia.
Position Objective: The Repair Intern will work side by side with the Repair site crew members performing repair and renovation work in owner-occupied homes. The Repair Intern will be expected to assist with all phases of renovation work, lead site preparation and cleanup, and transport materials to and from sites.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist Repair Site Supervisors and crew members with skilled critical home repair and renovation work (carpentry work; basic electrical, plumbing and HVAC).
- Organize and prepare supplies, tools, and materials for
- Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers working on site.
- Demonstrate and uphold the organization’s safety policies.
- Complete and follow through with all responsibilities expected of a full-time staff member: paperwork, time sheets, required meetings, etc.
- Maintain a flexible and positive attitude; be willing and able to take on other duties as assigned.
- Understand the Habitat philosophy, and possess the desire to promote it
- High school diploma, GED or technical school degree
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work with a variety of staff members and volunteers
- Ability to maintain a posture of respect and compassion when working with people who are in difficult life circumstances
- Valid driver’s license preferred (must have no serious traffic violations). Must be 21 years old to meet insurance requirements.
- Construction experience is helpful but not required
- Attendance at meetings, training, and events required by Habitat for Humanity International and by Habitat for Humanity Philadelphia
Physical requirements for this position:
- Ability to lift at least 50-80 on a regular basis
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
- Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two stories
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time
Compensation and Benefits:
$11/hr. base compensation
How To Apply:
Please send resume through the Indeed application portal by May 10, 2019. No calls, please.