E. Mitchell Swann, Secretary
E. Mitchell Swann (P.E., LEED AP, C. Eng, FCIBSE) is currently Principal at MDC Systems. Mr. Swann has over 30 years of experience on both domestic and international projects in the areas of consulting, design engineering, construction, project management, forensic engineering and claims analysis.
His career has included:
- Project engineering and design from concept to completion & start-up;
- Project management;
- Design departmental management;
- Business planning and operations;
- Strategic planning and development
He has technical expertise in the engineering and design of mechanical and control systems across a wide range of commercial, industrial and institutional projects and building types including office complexes, data centers, central utility plants, laboratories, pharmaceutical facilities, broadcasting, correctional facilities and shipboard systems. Mr. Swann has served as Chair on ASHRAE Technical Committees and co-authored design guidelines for ASHRAE and ISPE. He also served as Vice Chair of the ABA’s Committee on ADR in Construction. He is a frequent national and international speaker and lecturer for professional organizations and is a member of ASHRAE’s Distinguished Lecturer roster.
Mr. Swann’s career has afforded him the opportunity to hone both his technical skill set as well as the interpersonal and communication skills necessary to convey complex technical ideas to both seasoned industry professionals and non-technical audiences.
Mr. Swann has a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Drexel University, and attended Central High School in Philadelphia (Class 235).
His other activities include:
- President – Engineers Club of Philadelphia
- Board Member –The Painted Bride Art Center
- Board Member – West Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- Board member – The Enterprise Center Community Development Corp.
His professional affiliations include:
- American Bar Association, Associate Member
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers, Member
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- Association for International Arbitrators (AIA), Professional Member
- Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (UK), Member
- U.S. Green Building Council, Member
Mr. Swann formerly served on the Drexel University Alumni Board of Directors, was President of the Philadelphia Chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers in 2002 (current member), was a Board Member of the National Association of Asian American Professionals’ Philadelphia Chapter from 2003 to 2005 (current member), and served on the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Environmental Council.